This year’s winter offers are returning on Wednesday 1st October with a fantastic trio of options, £10 for 1 course, £12 for two courses and £14 for three courses. And we will be open during October from 12 noon until 9pm. Winter opening hours start on Saturday 1st November
Monday to Saturday 12-3pm, 6-9pm, 12-3pm on Sundays and closed on Sunday evenings.
August has been sublime with beautiful weather and lots of you returning to the Shack and many more new Shackers! It is always great to catch up and see so many of you over this period of time. We were delighted that the Duchess of Cornwall came back to have supper here with some family friends and her son, Tom Parker Bowles, who mentioned us in despatches in the Event magazine for the Mail on Sunday. Thanks Tom, it was lovely to welcome you all here again.
Also, we are absolutely delighted to say that the AA have awarded us One Rosette and the Good Food Guide has included us in their ‘Local Gem’ section “recognizing those perfect neighbourhood eateries that we all wish we had on our doorsteps”! Thank you to all you Shackers for your support, without you we could not be what we are.
The Oyster Shack is very happy to announce that we have a new Head Chef, Andy Richardson, who joins us from the River Cottage Canteen at the Royal William Yard, Plymouth. Andy worked here a couple of years ago and left to go to River Cottage, so we welcome him back with open arms and are thrilled that he has agreed to take up this position. We are looking forward to his Shack inspired dishes, ideas and offers for the winter and his expertise in the kitchen.
Martin Benjamin, our Head Chef since 2013, has moved on from the Shack to fulfill his life’s ambition and open his own restaurant in Plymouth. We wish him the best of luck in his new venture and thank him for all the hard work and professionalism that he has shown us over the time he has been at the Shack.
We have been knocking walls down!! We have installed a new biomass fireplace behind the till which will be far more eco friendly and also joins together the express area with the main restaurant. We will post some pictures on Twitter @theoystershack and our Pearls of Wisdom blog on the website for you.
Our “Oyster Shack at Home” outside catering service is picking up speed with the Paella and Buffet menu being the most popular. We would love to tailor an event to your individual requirements, whether it be a large or small party, we can pack chests for you to serve, bring your meal and staff to cook and serve it or just hire you the paella pan for you to cook your own. We have just cooked an enormous paella and provided a buffet with lime & chilli prawns, roasted vegetable couscous and lots of other salads for a Garden Party in Kingston for 150 guests which was great fun. Give us a ring on 01548 810934 and speak to Amie or Vicki or send an enquiry to email@example.com
If you are going to Plymouth’s Seafood Festival on Saturday & Sunday 27th & 28th September, come and find us, we will be there serving up the Shack’s best lobster rolls, crab soup and crab claws, oysters and other delicious things.
Coming soon – Shack Cookery Demos – spend a couple hours with our Head Chef, Andy, learning new skills preparing and tasting seafood dishes with an intimate group of 20. Limited spaces – dates to be released soon.
Facebook page – The Oyster Shack Bigbury
Instagram – @theoystershack
Twitter – @theoystershack
Daily Tide Times are posted on facebook & Twitter at 7.30am every day
The Crew look forward to seeing you at the Shack very soon,
Chris & the Crew
25 years serving Devon’s best seafood!
A large handful of fresh mint sprigs (keep 6 for garnish)
24 cucumber slices (keep 12 slices, 2 for each tumbler)
150g fresh blackberries (keep 12 back for garnish)
Juice from 3 limes + 6 wedges for garnish
8 tsp muscovado sugar
150ml Hendricks gin
150ml Soda water
1. Put 6 tumblers in the fridge to cool
2. Place first 5 ingredients in a large jug. Gently press mint leaves, cucumbers, and blackberries against side of the jug with a wooden spoon to release flavors. Stir in the gin and soda water.
3. Place your tumblers on a tray, fill with crushed ice and pour cocktail over the ice.
4. Garnish with cucumber slices, fresh blackberries, lime wedges and mint sprigs.
With the lovely blackberry season in full flow, this cocktail captures the real taste of autumn fruitfulness and making 6 at a time ensures that it is enjoyed with friends!!
Fillet of Cod & Mussels with Caponata
2 x 180g Cod Fillets
2 medium courgettes, finely diced
1 medium aubergine, finely diced
3 mixed peppers, finely diced
3 red onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
4 plum tomatoes de-seeded, diced
Few leaves basil chopped
Few leaves parsley chopped
Salt and pepper
Pre-heat oven to 180º or Gas Mark 4
1. In a hot frying pan, fry off the courgette and aubergine in a little olive oil, when browned, remove from the pan and place in a saucepan.
2. Return the frying pan to the heat and add the peppers, onion and garlic and cook until soft but not browned, remove from heat and add to the other vegetables in the saucepan.
3. Add the tomatoes and the mussels or clams to the saucepan and cook on a low heat for 4-5 min until all the ingredients are well combined, the sauce has slightly thickened and the mussels/clams have opened.
4. Place the fillets of cod (or the fish of your choice) into the hot frying pan and cook for 3 minutes skin side down, turn over and cook for a further 5 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
5. When ready to serve add the remaining ingredients and freshly chopped herbs to the saucepan and season to taste. To serve, divide the caponata into two large warmed bowls, put a fillet of fish on the top and garnish with a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley.
This is a great end of summer treat either served with simple grilled fish or just tossed with some pasta and fresh mussels or clams.
Enjoy with a nice glass of chilled white wine!